Sterling Silver Jewelry is very popular among consumers as it makes a great alternative to gold jewelry. Sterling Silver is a shiny, durable, and precious metal made up of 92.5% silver and the rest is made of metal alloys such as copper. This precious metal produces a sparkling effect , hence most people prefer wearing Silver Sterling Jewelry to Gold Jewelry.
This type of jewelry presents an inexpensive way to accessorize and still look amazing. It’s so versatile, affordable, and accessible.
Sterling Silver Jewelry requires special care so as to keep it looking as beautiful as the first day you received it. Remember that sterling silver is relatively soft, hence its important to protect your pieces of jewelry from any kind of damage.
The following are tips on caring for sterling silver jewelry:
Storing your Sterling Silver Jewelry helps to prevent oxidation which is the number one cause of dullness and discoloration. Here are some storage tips:
- Store your jewelry in a cool dry place. A moist and warm environment tends to compromise the luster and brilliance of your jewelry.
- Store individual pieces of jewelry in separate jewelry boxes. For best results, the boxes should be lined with tarnish-resistant material.
- If you plan to store your jewelry for an extended period of time, its best to seal them in an airtight plastic bag to protect them from
Your Silver Sterling Jewelry will occasionally require cleaning. The best way to clean your silver is to polish it over with a special non-abrasive cloth. When cleaning silver jewelry, avoid rubbing in circular patterns. Be sure to follow the grain of the silver. Besides, for you to keep the jewelry looking its best, avoid harsh chemicals such as bleach, or chlorinated water.
Another simple yet effective way to clean Silver Sterling Jewelry is to wrap it in a double layer of aluminum foil and then add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to warm water. Dissolve the baking soda in the water. Next, dip the jewelry in the solvent and let it soak for a few minutes , rinse and polish it off using a non-abrasive cloth and the jewelry will become shinny again.
However, if you feel like you don’t have what it takes to clean your silver jewelry the right way, seek the help of a professional silver cleaner.
There are certain elements which are known to tarnish the luster and brilliance of Silver Sterling Jewelry. As a general rule, its recommended that you remove your jewelry when taking a shower, swimming, sunbathing, and when spraying hairspray. Here is a video guide on how to clean your silver jewelry.
Other preventative care tips for your Sterling Silver Jewelry include:
- Wear your jewelry often to keep it looking shiny. Your skin’s natural oils will help keep silver jewelry shiny.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Put your silver sterling jewelry on last.
With the above-mentioned tips, you can prolong the life of your Sterling Silver Jewelry dramatically and keep it looking brilliant for years to come.